Yet another confession: I just tried cottage cheese for the very first time in my life. At least the first time I remember having eaten it. I remember my mom eating it on a few occasions growing up, other than that I always thought it looked/was gross, and never tried it. I sought the advice of my friend who frequently eats it, and bought the exact type that she likes, thinking well she likes that kind, so maybe I will too. And if not, I’ll give it to her 🙂
Long story short, I liked it! It reminds me of ricotta cheese, to be honest. I bought the low sodium version but somehow my only complaint was still that it was a little too salty for me. After I took the first bite and saw that I liked it, I moved on to trying it on/with other things.
Attempt #1: Cottage cheese on Kashi waffles
I picked up these frozen Kashi waffles (both cinnamon and blueberry were great!) and I tried this one a few different ways – with sliced bananas, pomegranate seeds, etc. The one pictured above is with chia seeds and triple berry preserves. All were very tasty and filling! And easy to throw together in the morning as I’m heading out the door to work.
Attempt #2: Cottage cheese with cinnamon apples and almonds
I tossed these apples in a little melted coconut oil and cinnamon and sugar and then microwaved for about one minute or so, until they were soft. Then I put them on top of the cottage cheese with some almond slivers. This was very tasty, and also very filling! Again, I threw this together in about four minutes and brought it with me to work… super easy!
Attempt #3: Cottage cheese biscuits
For this one, I wanted to transform the cottage cheese (yes, I do watch a lot of Food Network), not just dress it up. So I took to Pinterest for some cottage cheese inspiration. I was going to be going over to my mother-in-law’s house for a family dinner, so I wanted to try and make something that would go with what they were planning on having for dinner, which was fried chicken. So biscuits seemed like a good choice to me (#southern). I found a super easy recipe here at Imagelicious. I used a cookie scoop to form small biscuits and to avoid getting my hands too sticky in the dough. This method formed about a dozen small biscuits.
Next time I will definitely add in jalapeños – I think that would be a really great addition. I would have added this time, but I didn’t have any on hand. But these biscuits were nice and soft on the inside with a great cheddar cheese flavor, they were a big hit at dinner! I also would probably double the recipe next time, as I was pretty sad there weren’t any leftover for breakfast 😦
Lessons learned here:
- You shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover. AKA Don’t not eat cottage cheese because it’s weird and lumpy. TRY IT! It’s good!
- It’s easy to just dress up an ingredient. Challenge yourself to transform an ingredient and you’ll probably be really happy with the results!
Cheddar and Cottage Cheese Biscuits
adapted from Imagelicious
1 cup low fat (2%) cottage cheese
1 large egg
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the cottage cheese in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until it is thick and smooth
- In a large bowl, combine the pulsed cottage cheese, egg, and sugar until the egg is well incorporated and the mixture is smooth
- Mix in the cheddar cheese
- Add the flour and baking powder, mixing until a sticky dough forms
- Form the dough into small biscuits (using a cookie scoop was perfect) and place on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake 25 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Serve immediately.